Farewell from the Bookshelf!



Please note that GLBT Bookshelf -- the community wiki which was the parent to this fiction blog -- went offline on May 31, 2016, after seven years' service to members.

All Gay Romance will remain online till the end of 2016 in order to give contributors every opportunity to recover materials uploaded here.

Many thanks to all who contributed over the years, and good luck to everyone in your future works!

18.12.09

Demons

David has demons, a lot of demons. Chris decides that some of the demons that David has lost need to be kept after all...

He has his demons.

In the early days the demons that lived in his head choked him. I'm not really sure how he functioned with the weight of them.

As the years progressed I watched the demons drop away, but I never want him to lose all of them. A demon or two is good for the soul sometimes.

As he sits across the table from me, large and full of such contained and controlled power I feel tears well in my eyes. He casually explains to me that he doesn't need crutches anymore. In the early days he clung to the August anniversary of our "first time" but now? He shrugs elegantly, now he feels secure that there will never be a "last time."

I dip my head so he won't see the emotional effect, mainly because I'm not really sure of my response. I take a bite of baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream, his gift to me for this anniversary. When I gain control again I whisper...

"Let's keep the celebration in place..."

"Because I let you load up your potato with all the fattening stuff?"

"No," I raise my eyes to meet his, "Because even though there will never be a last time, the first time is something I cherish, and honor. I love you David, as much now as I did seven years ago."

I watch as he reels that particular demon back into place, and reaches over to take my hand.

Visit my GLBT Bookshelf page! And don't forget, if you're looking for some holiday stocking stuffers (or maybe something for yourself!) Make the Yuletide...Gay! Click to redeem a 15% discount from new Dreamspinner Press authors!

2 comments:

  1. I like the image of a loaded baked potato being a treat. It's very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I plan to write at least a novella about these two...I've got a mountain of character studies about them ;)

    ReplyDelete


Gay Boys - Abstract by Jade